Profession of Faith
193. All stand for the Profession of Faith (IG 43).
194. According to IG 68, the Profession of Faith is sung or said on Sundays and Solemnities. It may be said on special, more solemn celebrations.
195. The singing of the Profession of Faith may be begun by the priest, cantor or choir. It is sung by everyone together or alternately - by the people with the choir.
196. If not sung, the Profession of Faith is said, either by all or by two parts of the congregation responding to each other.
197. According to IG 137, during the profession of faith all make a profound bow at the words By the power of the Holy Spirit etc. According to the 1975 Order of Mass, this is done for the words By the power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man. On the solemnities of the Annunciation of the Lord and Christmas, all kneel instead of making the profound bow.
198. For Mass with Children, according to DMC 31, "To facilitate the children's participation in singing the ... Credo ... it is permissible to use with the melodies appropriate vernacular texts, accepted by competent authority, even if they do not correspond exactly to the liturgical texts." The question this raises is who is a "competent authority". IG 67 has added "a formula approved for liturgical use" to what GIRM 43 had on the Profession of Faith.
199. Also, for Mass with Children, "the Apostles' Creed may be used with children" (DMC 49).
Copyright J.R. Lilburne, 18 March 2002. Last updated 15 April 2002.